Wednesday, March 29, 2006

And in other news, I patented respiration...

So it appears Google has filed for three patents related to offering free or reduced wireless Internet access. The patent system has been out of control for a while now- With Microsoft patenting things like double clicking, and Amazon patenting one click buying. I completely understand the need for intelectual property protection, but I really don't think that our patent system was designed to handle the technology of the 21st century.


The Patent and Trademark office is under a lot of pressure to reform how so-called "method patents" are reviewed and granted. Likewise, they are under a lot of pressure from software companies to grant them. Ultimately the courts get involved, and lots of money changes hands.


I don't know what the answer is, I'm just asking the questions...It's up to you to answer.

No comments: